System Vendor Comparisons
A number of system vendors may claim to be able to supply a system that will implement the functional requirements for a new editorial or publishing system. However, they should be asked to provide answers to a number of questions, including those in the following list:
- is the technology mature (but not too mature)?
- does the system make sufficient use of open and standard technologies?
- how much does it cost?
- how much customisation will it require to meet the specific functional requirements (who can do this work, and at what cost)?
- how easily can it be integrated into external systems?
- what are the future plans for the system, and is there a plan for upgrading existing installations?
- is there local support for the product?
Text-box consulting has wide experience of building and advising on editorial systems and publishing systems.